In this letter, LRWC requests that all authorities comply with the ICCPR and other international human rights law obligations including the Basic Principles and Declaration on Human Rights Defenders and call on the Government of Indonesia to:
- take all necessary measures to guarantee the safety and wellbeing of Mr Gustaf Kawer and his family and Ms. Latifah Anum Siregar;
- ensure that all members of the police are made aware of the legitimate role of lawyers and of the police duty to protect lawyers from interference that threatens harm to their work or their safety;
- urge the Papua Regional Police to immediately halt the investigation of Mr Gustaf Kawer;
- conduct a prompt, independent and impartial investigation into the attack on Ms. Latifah Anum Siregar and bring to justice the perpetrators involved in the attack of Ms. Latifah Anum Siregar;
- put an end to all forms of harassment against lawyers in Indonesia.