International Human Rights Education and Training: Links to Resources
Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada has created these links for educational and research purposes only, and cannot take responsibility for content of third party web sites. Inclusion of a link does not imply endorsement of or association with Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada. At the present time, this list of resources is confined to British Columbia. Please feel free to email suggestions of additional listings.
Inter-Governmental Organizations’ Resources | Government resources | University courses and research programs | Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) training and resources | LRWC Human Rights Education and Training Portal | LRWC Report: The Right to know Our Rights
Intergovernmental Organizations’ Resources
United Nations Human Rights System
- Universal Human Rights Index, database provides searchable access to country-specific human rights information emanating from international human rights mechanisms in the United Nations system: the Treaty Bodies, the Special Procedures and the Universal Periodic Review (UPR).
- Database on Human Rights Education and Training, aims to facilitate information-sharing on resources available worldwide for human rights education and training (English, French and Spanish).
- World Program for Human Rights Education: Phase II, Plan of Action.
- UN Declaration on Human Rights Education and Training, adopted 19 December, 2011.
- International Human Rights Law
- Training and Education, Publications.
- Human Rights Education, videos and educational tools. UN Regional Information Centre for Western Europe.
- UNICEF Canada: Global Classroom
International Labour Organization (ILO)
Inter-American Human Rights System
- Basic Documents in the Inter-American Human Rights System
- Inter-American Human Rights Commission, Reports, Publications and News.
Government of Canada
Government of British Columbia
- Ministry of Attorney General, Human Rights Protection information sheets.
- BC Human Rights Tribunal (information sheets with exclusive focus on the BC Human Rights Code.
- Ministry of Education(Search for “human rights”)
- Diversity in B.C. Schools – A Framework. This policy has an exclusive focus on Canadian domestic human rights and social justice.
University of Ottawa Human Rights Research and Education Centre, Ottawa, Canada
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- International Human Rights (LAW 319C), Faculty of Law
- Law of Armed Conflict: International Humanitarian Law (LAW 321D)m Faculty of Law
- International Refugee Law as Applied in Canada (LAW378C), Faculty of Law
- Corporate Social Responsibility and the Law (LAW 306), Faculty of Law
- Governance & Human Rights Module (IAR500), Institute of Asian Research
University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia
- International Human Rights and Conflict (DR507), MA program in Dispute Resolution, Faculty and Human and Social Development
- International Human Rights and Dispute Resolution (LAW373), Faculty of Law
- Refugee Law (LAW323), Faculty of Law
- The Politics of Human Rights in New Democracies: Transitional Justice (POLI 436), Department of Political Science
- Gender and International Human Rights (WC315), Women’s Studies program
- Educational Resources, International Institute for Child Rights and Development including Human
Child Rights Education for Professionals (CRED-PRO) Training Manuals.
Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia
NGO-based Training and Resources
The following non-governmental organizations have online resources or training on international human rights that is accessible or used by people in British Columbia.
Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada, Vancouver, BC
BC Association for Community Living
- Resources: Inclusive Education including some material on the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
BC Human Rights Coalition, Vancouver, BC
- Educational resources with an exclusive focus on the BC Human Rights Code
Canada Without Poverty, Ottawa and Vancouver offices
- Resources with focus on the human rights, including international human rights
Canadian Red Cross, BC Lower Mainland Region
- Courses on Humanitarian issues, including International Humanitarian Law and International Refugee Law.
- Educator’s Resources: Canada. Resources on International Humanitarian Law (Law of War)
Canadian Coalition for the Rights of Children (CCRC, Ottawa, Canada
Civil Society Accountability Project (SRAP), Canada, a coalition of community organizations and academic institutions engaged in social rights advocacy and research in Canada.
Equitas, Montréal, Quebec
- Resources including specialized training manuals for various audiences.
Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks (FBCYICN), New Westminster, BC
- Education including some focus on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
First Call: BC Child & Youth Advocacy Coalition, Vancouver, BC includes reports with focus on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Genocide Education Canada, London, Ontario
- Training for teachers, students and members of the public. BC teachers are among those participating in courses.
Human Rights Education Associates, Amsterdam, Netherlands and Cambridge Massachussetts
- Distance Education and Resources on international human rights in several languages
Human Rights Internet (HRI), Ottawa, Canada
Justice Education Society, Vancouver, BC
- Publications and Documentation (with a domestic BC focus)
Pivot Legal Society, Vancouver, BC
- Publications (with a focus on domestic BC issues and BC/Canadian law)
POVNet, Vancouver, BC
Society for Children and Youth of BC, Vancouver BC
- Resources centred on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Society Rights Advocacy Centre, Toronto, Canada